Wednesday, July 17, 2013

back to school, back to school...

warning, this is a little long!

not having any luck in the job search was starting to get to me. it has been 2 years since i've graduated university, and while i've had odd jobs here and there (3 to be exact), i never had that career job or even a job that paid well. it's so frustrating looking at jobs online, only to see that my 6 years of college and university education get me nothing. entry level jobs want years of experience, knowledge of this program, a certificate in that; none of which i have. i still apply, but i've yet to get any calls, obviously. and let just throw this out there, a few weeks ago, i was applying to a department store and you know what they had under qualifications? a degree in retail management! to be a sales associate!! so yeah, i felt pretty defeated.

here i am, at nearly 26 still in a rut of what to do with my life. dylan has always tried to talk me into going back to school, but i would just scoff and say, "and take what?! i have no idea what i want to do!" "i don't want to go and take just anything. i need a job after!" "a masters degree wouldn't guarantee a job either!" i truly enjoyed what i got my degree in; criminology and sociology, but more so the criminology. to me, it's fascinating and i loved it. i considered law school in my first year, but quickly changed my mind.

last thursday (july 11) when dylan and i were talking, once again, about how frustrated and lost i feel, and the fact that i still have yet to get a job since moving here, or any calls (career-type or retail) he again suggested school. he told me just to think about it. i went for a walk and tried to clear my head and while i was out, i started thinking about a legal administrative assistant. when i got back home, i checked out a few colleges in the city that offered it and read up on it. most jobs i look at online want this diploma and they pay relatively well, i've seen some postings up to $65-$70,000. *i know one wouldn't start at that, but it's nice to know it's possible to work up to that* i gave the college a quick call to make sure they still had openings since i would be applying late and they did. of all things, they wanted my high school transcripts to make sure i had grade 12 english. then i was sent into a tizzy  because i had no recollection of whether i took it (turns out i did, as it was mandatory) and i was thinking, "you're telling me i may not get in because of something i didn't take nearly 10 years ago?!"

i had pretty much decided, that yes, i'm going to go for it and just apply. i spend the next day calling my high school, college, and university to get all my old student numbers. i finished the application process later that day and only applied to the one school (even though i could have chosen up to 5) and figured i would play the waiting game for 3-4 weeks. i didn't think there was a real reason i wouldn't get it, especially with my educational background and what i took, but i didn't want to get my hopes up. and then there was the whole, "more debt?! really?!?" i've been paying off my student loans for 2 years now, but i applied again since we don't have an extra $10,000 hanging around in our bank account.

on sunday (june 14), i got an email early in the morning, "congratulations, you've been accepted!" first of all, i couldn't believe i heard back so fast, and second of all, i got in!! i did a little dance in the living room and my girl friends and dylan were there with me.

so that's that! i'm going back to school. it's a diploma program that is 12 months straight and when i'm done, hopefully i'll get a placement that will lead to a job, and a job that pays well ;) in the end, what's a little more school debt?!

i really do think this is what i've wanted to do, i just didn't know it. it may have taken me a little longer than most to get there, but i feel like i'm finally on track and doing something with my life that i will (hopefully) enjoy and that will get me somewhere.

excited!

holy crap, i'm going back to school!

*this was pretty long-winded, but i wrote it out mostly for me to keep a memory of*

6 comments:

Quinn said...

Well done! Congratulations on getting in! You're so brave for even having applied! I hope you LOVE it!

Amber said...

Yay!! How exciting. Congrats on getting in and going back to school!

Krysten @ Why Girls Are Weird said...

Yay for you!

I am having no luck searching for a job so I think I may go back and get my bachelor's. It's frustrating but hell, I'm going to be 30, I can't be a waitress forever!

Teh Megan said...

Congratulations!!

I registered and paid for my first graduate class this evening.. after getting my Bachelor's SIX years ago. I was soooo apprehensive, but I made the jump.

It's exciting to see someone else making the same choice! Good luck!

Nicole K said...

Congrats on going back to school :3

Hopefully this time will help you get a really good job, I know how it is to feel like your education has gotten you no where job wise and you have to go back to school.

Good Luck!

Delightfully Awkward Brittany said...

Congratulations & good luck!

Related Posts with Thumbnails