Tuesday, April 2, 2013

monday night scare...

what.a.night. last night. i'm sitting, relaxing on the couch watching 'the following', while dylan was at work. at about 9:15, this beeping starts. oh great. the smoke alarm batteries need changing i figure. grab my step stool, stand up to the smoke alarm and listen. hmmm...doesn't sound like it's coming from there. take a look around our place and don't see another one. check the hallways and see if it's coming from another unit. nope. must be the smoke alarm. so i'm up there, with a butter knife, trying to get it off the ceiling, but it really doesn't sound like it's coming from there. i take another look around. go into the office and see a carbon monoxide detector hiding in the corner. oh crap.

now i start to panic. you don't mess with that shit! i'm thinking it's probably the batteries, but i give dylan a text and my parents a call. i also called the landlord and no answer. tried to google some answer, but not much help. i changed the batteries and it was still beeping about every 60 seconds. after about 30 minutes and multiple calls (even to the fire dept, but they were closed at that time. i was reluctant to call 911 just yet), i went to the girl downstairs who has lived here for years to see if it's ever happened to her. she said it happened to her parents once and she called 911 and they just came to check it out. so, that's what i did.

they told me to close all doors and windows and wait outside. about 5 minutes later, a fire truck pulls up, and 4 (4!!) guys get out. i'm in my pj's by the way, definitely didn't change. and there was a cute one, too ;) they did a test with their machine and got no reading and figured that somehow, it was still faulty batteries. and just like that, they were off. i felt bad about 'wasting their time', but with that, you just never know and can't take the chance.
 on the porch waiting.


nothing like a good carbon monoxide scare to keep you on your toes.

3 comments:

xoxo Kelly said...

Holy cow, I would have had a heart attack! You didn't waste their time, it was a legitimate concern - better safe than sorry :) Glad it turned out to be nothing serious... By the way - "The Following" is seriously SO good. I'm glad they picked itup for a 2nd season!

Krysten @ Why Girls Are Weird said...

Oh my gosh that's so scary! I'm sure they were happy that you were being safe and making sure everything was okay.

daniela said...

My parents had put one in our basement at one point and after a while it started going off at night. Annoying. Our decision? Get rid of it. Clearly we're big on safety...

Related Posts with Thumbnails