Tuesday, November 19, 2013

lip lab...

when me and my mom were about to leave the mall, we passed by sephora one last time, but this time i noticed something i hadn't noticed before. i saw girls in lab coats in the window, and on the back of their coats, it said "lip lab". obviously i was intrigued and stepped in. the girls let us know that they were from bite beauty, an all-natural lip care company from toronto. they told us the concept: you have a quick sit down with one of the girls, pick any color you would like (pick a pre-made color, or mix a few together), pick the scent you would like, and whether you would like it to be matte, luminous, or something else (can't remember!), and then within 5 minutes, you have your own personalized lipstick made! price tag on this? $36. yes, it's steep, which is why i initially turned it down, but my mom said to do it and i would get it for christmas. she really had to pull my leg on that one ;)

i sat down with one of the girls and she was telling me all about the line and what not. she started by having me use a lip scrub to make sure my lips were nice and smooth. next thing i notice, she pulls out a stick of some sort (i think it was something to keep your lipstick in place so it doesn't bleed) and she wipes it with alcohol. she keeps talking and all i'm thinking in my head is, "omg, is this really going directly on my lips? no, please no. too many people have touched it. cold sores. sickness. noooo!!" she goes to put it on, and i just had to politely stop her. i think i may have offended her, as she stated that she just wiped it with alcohol, but i just couldn't do it. i barely like my good friends sharing drinks and lip products, let alone something that has been used all day long in sephora. tell me i'm not alone in this?!

anyways, she was lovely, and we tried on a few colors until we found the perfect one. once you pay, you give the 'recipe card' to the lab girls and they work their magic. in less than 5 minutes, you have a lipstick customized to you. pretty darn cool.

the ingredients go in a little container which goes in a microwave for a few seconds to melt, then it gets swirled around. after that, it goes in the box shown above, where it spins 200x/minute.
it's then poured into a lipstick mold where it sets for a few minutes. 

putting in the lipstick tube!
yay! my lipstick! they make 2 just in case 1 breaks.


a little more about the process on their blog here and here.

3 comments:

Kathy@MoreCoffeeLessTalky said...

i'm the same! instead of putting that shit on my lips (hello, don't have time for the herp), i put it on my finger tip and then hold it up to my lips to see how it would look.

-kathy
Vodka and Soda

Amber said...

Whoa, that is awesome. I've never seen or heard of this. Now I wanna go to my Sephora to see if they have something similar ;)

Unknown said...

So cool! I love that something like this exists! I'll have to start peeking in Sephora more often :)

jamiepilgrim.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails