Thursday, January 13, 2011

growing up in 4 months...

oh hey school, it's you again. but guess what? that's the last time i can say that (unless i go back for more that is). i'm finished my first week back...i thoroughly enjoyed my 3 weeks off, they didn't fly by like i thought, which is nice. anyways, i am now going into my last semester. holy cow that went fast. how do i feel? scared, excited, nervous, not ready, but ready at the same time, confused...

i mean, am i really ready? i guess i kind of have to be. come may, i'll have no choice but to get a job and start paying back my loans (i've said it before, but it's true-this part-loans-terrifies me). hopefully i find something sooner than later, and on top of that, find something i like, that pays well. too much to ask? the thing is, i still don't know what i want to do. there's no other question i hate more than, "what do you want to do when you finish?" because i don't have an answer for them. and then i feel like an idiot. they're probably thinking, 'this girl has been through college and university and still doesn't know?' well yes, you would be correct.

maybe my classes this semester will help me decide more. i have one sociology credit to finish and then the other 4 classes are criminology. crim classes are always really interesting, but the amount of reading for those classes is intense.. the profs pile it on to no end.
i guess all i can really do it is put all i have into this last semester and see where it takes me in the end. which is scary for me because i kind of hate change. and i've been in a nice little routine of going to school since i was what, 3 or 4? 20 years of routine, and now BAM-change! school and classes will soon be replaced by resume tweaking and job searching and hopefully finding a job.
 that's my readings for the next 3 months. so now that the first week is done, and i've gone to my classes, i can say that i'm looking forward to them. they will definitely be time consuming (um, look at that pile, i particularly like that big fat one on the bottom..) and challenging, but i think they will all be interesting and engaging too.
if i don't blog quite as often as usual, it's probably because i'm lost in a sea of reading. but i'll try not to let that happen.

monday-wednesday schedules are awesome by the way.
but really, how did everyone else find the transition from school life to work life? harder than expected? easier? can't find a job?

9 comments:

Unknown said...

i'm so jealous of you! i have so much longer...but good luck this semester! i'm sure you'll do great!
xoxo, jamie

Alycia Grayce (Crowley Party) said...

I feel ya girly :) this is my last semester too!

Unknown said...

Those books do NOT look fun, but enjoy it. Everyone always told me that and now I know why. Working at the same job and doing the same thing every day is not quite the glamorous "real world" I imagined. I was able to find a job that used my degree, but had to send out over 100 resumes/applications, so it was a pretty intense process. Good luck!!! I know you'll be fine, and maybe find a job in nyc?!

cc said...

Good luck with your last semester!! It's definitely a bittersweet feeling when you're done - but sweet nonetheless :)

I worked on campus as a student and I lucked into finding an advising job when I graduated. So, the transition wasn't too bad since I'm still around students every day.

But after being out of school for a year and a half, I'm ready to go back and tackle another degree so I can find that better paying job that I will also love.

Unknown said...

Almost time to graduate, very exciting! I've been out of school now almost 3 years and I think my main advice would be to make the most of the rest of the time you're there (which you mentioned you're doing to do anyway I think). If you're not sure what you want to do, talk to some of your profs or go see a career counsellor. It might not help but you never know until you try it - they might be able to tell you about career options you weren't aware of (I wish I had done this when I was finishing school). Just get out there and research as much as you can period - talk to people, read books and websites, attend career events, etc. Also be open-minded about the first job you take after graduation - a job may not sound great on paper but could end up being a great one for you. Also you could be missing out on a great position if you are picky about things like salary (newsflash: you're not going to have a large one right out of school), location, company type, etc. The important thing is that you will be able to make great long-lasting contacts and pick up some useful skills/lessons. It's scary to think about this early but I would start investigating things now, don't wait until a month before you graduate. It could take longer than you think to find a job, plus you are competing with the rest of your class. I know this is probably not something you want to hear but I feel it's better not to sugar-coat it. In any case, this is just my opinion based on my experience, so not necessarily what would work for you, but thought I'd share anyway! I wish when I was finishing Uni that I talked to more ppl that are in my current position (i.e. out of school for a few yrs) about their experience. I think it would have been eye-opening. Sorry to blab on so much, this is just an area I like to discuss!! lol :)

Anonymous said...

Congrats on making it to your last semester! I'm, so far, successfully paying off my loans without ever finding that real job yet (things are a bit different for me because I'm moving out of state to be with my soon-to-be husband after we are married so I quit looking for a job for now). It's been almost two years since I graduated and I think it's hard to say what you want to do until you're actually out there seeing whats open and who is hiring. I went to school for public relations and I have an idea of what I want to do but because the field can be so broad, I've discovered so many opportunities I didn't know existed so don't stress about not knowing where to go come May. I know everyone is saying it, but enjoy your last few months of school!

chiarabella said...

i'm 3 months from finishing a masters degree and still don't really know what i want to do so no rush in figuring it all out!

Jennifer said...

Thanks for visiting my blog! It's not much yet, but it's new. I love your blog and I love Canada. I haven't been to Toronto, but to Calgary and British Columbia. I totally agree that movie was creepy and weird!

Sara @ The Bucket List said...

I'm a crim major so I understand how you feel about all he reading :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails